Discussion > re: the rehab industry

Dear Dr. Dodes,

Hello! I voluntarily admitted myself to a rehab facility in 2012. I am a registered nurse and I was profoundly depressed and my drinking was escalating. I worked for a major hospital system at that time; I was optimistic that I would be offered some useful skills and helpful insight, and at the very least I would be treated respectfully by my peers.

I was very, very naive. I was terribly wrong.

What I thought was a rational, practical solution ended a 20-yr career with that hospital. It cost me my professional reputation and two years of income. On an emotional level, it was incredibly damaging. I still feel as if my soul was raped... and I don't toss that verbiage around lightly. It nearly cost me my life.

I went public to some extent via a YouTube channel, but even there, behind anonymity, it was painful to disclose all of the details of what I endured. A number of other former clients have reached out to me about shared experiences at this particular facility. I am sure I sound like a bitter malcontent with an axe to grind, but please believe me when I tell you the month I spent at this facility was an excercise in futility at best and an abject horror at worst. And yes, it is a pretty big axe ;).

I felt compelled to contact you and share a bit of my experience if you're interested. I am sure as a physician and author you are far too busy to indulge me, but I wanted to reach out nonetheless. Either way, I look forward to reading your book.

Warmest regards,

Allison L

April 1, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterAllison

Thank you for your post. Your experience is all too common. I hope my third book, The Sober Truth, helps to turn public attention to the tragedy of our current rehabilitation system.

April 26, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterLance Dodes, M.D.