Discussion > Central repository for experience with support groups for addiction

I read the SOBER TRUTH and really enjoyed it and much of it rang true with my experience. But much of my problems with Narcotics Anonymous was not mentioned. For example, the people in NA seem to worship only one thing and it has nothing to do with a higher power. It's the gold calf called abstinence and the measuring stick for wisdom becomes clean-time.

I've had a terrible experience with Narcotics Anonymous in general, I would call it abusive. I can't affect such a powerful organization. What I want to do is to have the next person like me who is making decisions about recovery support groups to have access to personal stories like mine when making a decision. No site like this exists. I realize that it would have to exist for a while before it became the GOTO site for people exploring their options. Any suggestions, ideas, thoughts are much appreciated.

May 31, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterSaul L .

Dear Saul,

Thank you for your post. If you search for anti-12-step sites on the Internet you will find quite a few. Many of them post comments describing bad experiences with 12-step programs. But if these aren't what you had in mind I would encourage you to start your own site.

Good luck.

Lance Dodes, M.D.

June 9, 2015 | Unregistered CommenterLance Dodes, M.D.